HOW TO CONVERT BETWEEN KML & ESRI'S SHAPEFILE IN QGIS

KML is not so commonly used by mapmakers and GIS programmers.ESRI'S shapefile on the other hand is most commonly adopted in the field of GIS and therefore in this tutorial i will show how to convert between the two.

It is important to convert a shapefile(shp) to KML especially when you want to put it as an overlay in Google earth(accepts only KML or KMZ).

In this tutorial i will be using QGIS version 2.8.

1.Select Layer in the menu bar and click 'Add vector Layer'.Browse to the KML file and in the 'source dataset type' select  'KML' or 'All files' and press open.


2.Right click on the added KML file on the side panel.Click on 'save as'.Select  ESRI shapefile under the format ,give it an appropriate name and click save.

The same procedure is followed when converting SHP to KML,only that the format this time round is KML.

You can also check on my tutorial on;

Exporting KML in Google Earth

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually deal with such things on a daily basis, but of course I use IT solutions in my work. If I could program, I think that every careers tab would probably be visited by me. At this moment, it is enough for me to use ready-made solutions operating in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete